Here are just a few of the messages my inner Nun is using in a desperate attempt to keep me off that stage:
- Who do you think you are? You have no business being on stage at TedxNapaValley.
- No one wants to hear what you have to say.
- You don't have anything to wear. (Which is actually true. Yikes!)
- You won't sound professional enough with that topic.
- You will embarrass yourself and your colleagues.
- Your failure will be publicly acknowledged and recorded.
- What are people supposed to do with the information you deliver?
- Have you seen the list of other speakers? My gosh those people are amazing. Who let you in?
So, what do I do with these words that are replaying on an endless soundtrack in my head?
First, I turn the words into a blog post (My Nuns hate it when I write a blog post about them.) Next, I pet my Basset Hound, listen politely, and then get right back to the business of building a killer speech.
That's how it works.